Thursday, December 19, 2013

Hugs for Santa

Santa's main job is to have children sit on his lap and ask what they want for Christmas. When children are brought to me, there are many different reactions.  Some are so excited to see me that they bounce around and jump and wiggle.  Others are nonchalant like it is routine for them (but who visits Santa every day?).  Others are shy and timid and take quite a bit of coaxing.  And then there are the screamers!  I have to hold onto them like they are on a bucking bronco.

Last night while I was at a daycare center, I had one of my favorite kinds of reactions from a child.  This little boy came up to me and waited for me to pick him up and set him on my knee and he just snuggled back into my arm and kind of melted into me.  He seemed very contented and happy to be there.  After a picture was taken, I asked what he wanted for Christmas.  Smiling, he looked at me and said, "Oh, whatever, Santa."  So I started making some suggestions of certain toys and books, but he said he knew that I would bring him just the right thing.

I wished him Merry Christmas and was about to put him down and he squished closer in to me.  His mother came forward to take him, but he raised his hand to stop her and said that he didn't need to leave because Santa was his friend.  I signaled to his mom that it was okay and I looked down at him.  He looked up at me with his sparkling eyes and a big grin and said, "We're friends, right Santa?"  To which I agreed.

He sat with me for a minute, stroked my beard and then gave me a big hug, the kind of hug that melts you to your heart.  He told me he loved me, then hopped down and waved goodbye.

Santa loves being loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment