Saturday, December 3, 2011

Santa Claus for the Holidays

About 5 years ago in December I got a phone call asking if I would come to Park City to do a show for kids for about four hours.  My magic show was only about a half an hour, and I wondered what on earth I was going to do for that long.  Then the lady who called me said I could pick up "the suit" from her husband.  Curiously, I asked her what "suit" she was talking about.  She said it was the Santa suit.  I just about told her that I didn't play Santa, but then she said it would pay $500.  I thought for about two seconds before I agreed and asked for the address.

That's how I got into playing Santa Claus in addition to being a magician.  My wife got to work immediately making me a beautiful crushed velvet and fur suit which I have used ever since.

This year I have had 4 shows already and it's only December 3rd.  I love to play Santa and watch the children as their eyes light up when I arrive.  I love answering all of their questions.  I especially love having my picture taken as Santa with kids of all ages on my knee.

Today I did two shows, one was for Cactus and Tropics in Holladay, Utah.  This is my second year with them.  They have a professional photographer who has taken some fabulous photos.  This one with me and the baby is my favorite.  Parents with babies just love this pose.

Also, this afternoon I had a show for an Engineering Firm (Bowen, Collins & Associates in Draper, Utah) that my friend and fellow magician, Dale Winger works for and referred me (thanks Dale).

It was their company party and they had lots of little kids come tell me what they want for Christmas.  One little girl had actually cut out pictures from the Sunday ads of the things she wanted for Christmas.  She had glued them onto papers and stapled together into a book so she could show me exactly what to get her and where I could buy them!

Another little boy was disappointed that I hadn't already gotten his letter and memorized what he wanted for Christmas.  Kids are funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment