Friday, December 14, 2012

A Gift for Santa

Sometimes it's better to receive than to give.  Yes, I said what I meant.

It is very important as Santa Claus to have fresh breath.  I usually have small mints with me at all times for just that reason.  Tonight as I was getting out a mint before my Santa appearance, I spilled them all over the parking lot - all but one small mint, thankfully.

On my way home after the party, I decided to stop at a 7-11 to pick up some more mints (besides I have a blast showing up unexpectedly in my Santa garb - I love the looks I get and the excitement of the surprised people around me, especially children).  I parked and reached for my wallet, then remembered that I had forgotten it at home.  I checked the payment I had just received for my Santa appearance, and the smallest bill was a $50.

I went in and grabbed 3 boxes of mini mints and went up to pay.  When it was my turn, the clerk rang it up and told me it was $6, and I handed him my $50.  His face fell, and he told me that a previous customer had paid with a $100 bill which cleaned him out of his small change.  I smiled and said, "never mind."  He smiled and said he hoped that wouldn't put him on the naughty list.

I turned to put the mints back when I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard a voice behind me say, "Just a minute Santa."  Then a very kind man put $6 plus tax on the counter and said the mints were on him.  I was about to tell him not to worry about it, but then a little voice inside my head said, "it's better to give than to receive," and I realized that this man was feeling the Christmas Spirit of giving by buying Santa some mints.  Then I decided that I needed to be gracious and accept this gift.  So I thanked him heartily and wished him a Merry Christmas.

Sometimes even Santa can receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment