Sunday, December 2, 2012

Santa Baby!

One of my favorite things to do as Santa is to be asked to be at a family party when a couple is going to announce the news that they are expecting.

Last night, was once such moment.  The excited mother called to schedule the Santa appearance and we discussed the options of what we could do to announce her pregnancy.  We agreed that I would hand out all the presents to the kids, then would pull out of my bag a baby rattle with a big red bow on it and give it to the expectant parents.  Everyone would go crazy as they figured out the news!

She called the night before to change the plan, however.  I arrived and did the usual round of pictures and videos, then started to hand out all the gifts to the kids.  The adults weren't paying much attention to me, but after I finished with the gifts, I stood up and jingled my bells and called for everyone's attention.  I told them I had one more very special gift to give and called up the expectant parents.

From behind the sofa they pulled out a large red and green storage container with a large bow on it.  They pulled off the bow, lifted the lid and let out three helium mylar balloons that said "Congratulations" and "It's a Baby!"

The room erupted in cheers and applause, and I was pushed to the background as everyone surrounded the couple with hugs and congratulations.  While this was going on, one little girl climbed up into my lap and asked me to read her the story book she had just received.  I started reading "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" to her.  Soon most of the other children came and sat around me to listen to the story.  Turns out, that was a perfect photo op for the grandmother - all her grandchildren around Santa.

Isn't being Santa great?

No comments:

Post a Comment